Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission file is in Microsoft Word document file format.
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines. All illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- The corresponding author and other authors (if any) have understood the publication ethics in this journal and willing to comply with it.
- The author(s) is the copyright holder of the published article under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. This license permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
- The guideline is available in PDF document and also in Bahasa Indonesia (PDF download)
- Download Article Template
The editor of RIAU JOURNAL OF EMPOWERMENT accepting the high-quality scientific manuscript from the community service activities written in Bahasa Indonesia or English. The manuscript is the author's original scientific work and is not the result of plagiarism.
The manuscript is typed with Microsoft Office Word® according to the journal template provided. The manuscript contains a minimum 3000 words (not including bibliography) and is typed in documents with A4 paper size. The author is required to use the article template provided by the editor on the journal website.
(1) Title: The title of the manuscript is written short and no more than 150 letters in the Bahasa Indonesia or English versions. The title is written informative and illustrates the main content of the writing. The editor suggested that the authors compose titles that can attract reading interest.
(2) Author Name: Write the author names without a title followed by his/her affiliation. Affiliation is the origin of the faculty and university for those who come from academic institutions. The affiliation can be the name of the institution for writers from non-academic institutions. All authors who contributed to the article included their email address. The editor suggested the author also include scholar profile links such as ORCID and Scopus (if any). The more complete the author's information submitted on the article will make it easier for the writer to connect to the manuscript online.
(3) Abstract: Write the abstracts in two versions, Bahasa Indonesia and English, each with a maximum of 180 words. The abstract contains briefly the main contents of the writing, including background, objectives, method, and the results obtained from the community engagement. Provide a short theory review as the community services background. Write the main procedures used for the activity, including the observational and analytical methods. Summarize the main achievements, including specific impact on social, environment, and or economy. In addition, the author can mention the related prior researches to measure the contribution of the activities to science.
(4) Keywords: The keywords or phrases are an essential part of abstracts. The author sets 5-8 specific keywords and reflects what is important about the article. Examples of keywords could include theoretical concepts, methods, geographical areas, or community development themes. Keywords are separated with a semicolon (;). The author is required to align the Title, Abstract, and Keywords in the manuscript.
(5) Contents: The contents of the manuscript contain the parts of the Introduction, Method of Application, Results and Achievement of the Goals, Conclusions, Acknowledgments, and References. Make sure the contents of the manuscript, except for the Acknowledgements section, do not contain the personal identities or affiliations of the author(s).
The introduction section contains theoretical background, problem formulation, and the objectives. This section must be supported by the theoretical background which serves as a support to the concept of community service. The theoretical knowledge contains previous theories as to the basis of community services activity. The manuscript is required to present primary literature studies (references to journal articles and conference proceedings) and up-to-date (references published within the last five years). This literature will be used to provide state of the art of the manuscript. In the context of community empowerment, the theory that should be used primarily is the theory related to community engagement, development, or services. Other related theories are needed to solve the community problem and delivered after the theory of community empowerment are discussed. Enrich this introduction with the efforts that have been made by other parties. This article is the result of community service, which is downstream of the research results.
After the theories are mentioned and discussed, the manuscript needs to form a problem that shows why this manuscript is essential and describe the existing gaps. The author is required to write the purpose of the manuscript at the end of the introduction section.
At the methods section, describe clearly and concisely the method used to achieve the goals that have been set forth in the service activities. The results of that services must be measurable and the author is asked to explain the measurement tools used. Manuscript is required to explain how to measure the level of success of the community engagement program. The level of achievement can be seen in terms of attitudes, socio-cultural, and economic impact in the target community.
Results and Achievements
Community service is an effort to disseminate science, technology, and art to the community. These activities must be able to provide an added value to the community, both in economic activities, policies, and behaviour changes (social). This part describes what the community service activity has been able to provide change for individuals/communities and institutions, both short and long term. In this section, describe how operations are carried out to achieve the objectives. Explain the indicators of objectives achievement and the benchmarks used to state the success of the activities that have been carried out. Express the strengths and weaknesses of the outcome or the main focus of the action in accordance as it seen on the conditions of the community. Explain also the level of difficulty of the implementation, the production of goods, and the opportunities for future development.
The manuscript can conclude the main result in this part, but do not repeat the explanation that has been told in the previous sections. The drawing of conclusions is based on new findings which are presented accurately and deeply. New findings can be in the form of rules, methods, models, technology, innovation, prototypes, or the equivalent related to the community empowerment. The conclusion must define the novelty, the benefit for social, environment and or economy, and scientific contribution of manuscript.
Acknowledgements (if necessary)
This section must be written if the institution funds the community service that produces this paper. In this section, the author expresses his/her gratitude to the funding agency. And if necessary, the author can also state other institutions that contribute to the implementation of activities. The author can write down the contract number or document number of the cooperation agreement with partners.
(6) Table and Figure: Tables and figures are part of the manuscript and are not separated from the body of the paper. Put tables and figures in a place that fits the narration so that they complete the description. Number the tables and figures according to the order in which they appear on the text. Give the title of each table and figure. The images included in the manuscript must be of high quality. The figure does not stand alone and must be part of the paper. Please note that the figure is not documentation that is not related to the discussion of the manuscript. Make sure the manuscript does not display pictures that show the identity or information related to the authors.
The printed version is printed in black and white, and the author should adjust the picture according to the conditions. Examples of laying and naming pictures can be seen here.
(7) References: For good quality articles, editors require authors to use primary references (journals) with a composition of at least 80% compared to other references in the bibliography. Authors are asked to use the most recent works published in the last ten years. This journal does not use footnotes in the body of the manuscript, all sources of literature follow the rules of writing citation and bibliography.
Starting in 2020, the citation format in the manuscript and bibliography display at the RIAU JOURNAL OF EMPOWERMENT follows the American Physicological Association (APA). More complete, the author can learn the writing in the APA Format Citation Guide or can follow the instructions below.
All citations in the text must be included in the references, and all references must be mentioned in the text. Check the reference list against literature citations in the text before submitting the manuscript for publication. Ensure that working papers and in-press articles have not been published before submitting your work. For proper reference management, the editor recommends that the writer use a reference management application such as Mendeley, EndNote, Zotero, or Microsoft Office Word Citations & Bibliography. And the most important, make sure that all of the references have complete elements (proper author name, date, title, publisher, volume, issue, DOI or URL, etc.) to be tracked down to the source.
Instructions of Citation and Writing APA Format Bibliography
The in-text citation must match what is written in the references list. This citation is followed by or ends the sentence or phrase quoted from the source. The manuscript cites by including the author's last name followed by the year the article was quoted.
One Author: If the author's full name is Almasdi Syahza, then the writing of the citation on the manuscript becomes:
- Syahza (2002) stated … or
- … (Syahza, 2002)
The structure of the above writing can be used depending on the arrangement of sentences in the manuscript. The page number in the citation in the paper does not need to be written.
Two Authors: Writing a quote with two authors, the names of the first and second authors are linked with the words 'and' as in the following example:
- Syahza and Nasrul (2003) said that …… or
- …… (Syahza & Nasrul, 2003);
Three, Four, or More Authors: In quoting, only the first author's last name is written, followed by et al. as the following:
- Irianti et al. (2019) …… or …… (Irianti et al., 2019)
Citing a Group or Organisation: For the first cite, the full name of the group must be used. Subsequently this can be shortened. For example:
- First cite: (Food and Agriculture Organization, 2019)
- Further cite: (FAO, 2019)
No Authors or Unknown Authors: If the author is unknown, the first few words of the reference should be used. This is usually the title of the source.
- If this is the title of a book, periodical, brochure or report, is should be italicised: (Teknologi hidroponik, 2019)
- If this is the title of an article, chapter or web page, it should be in quotation marks: (“Reference Management”, 2017)
Citing Authors with Multiple Works from One Year: Works should be cited with a, b, c etc following the date. These letters are assigned within the reference list, which is sorted alphabetically by the surname of the first author. For example:
- … (Syahza, 2017a). … (Syahza, 2017b).
Citing Multiple Works in One Parentheses: If these works are by the same author, the surname is stated once followed by the dates in order chronologically:
- Syahza (2015, 2017a, 2017b, 2019) …
- … (Syahza, 2015, 2017a, 2017b, 2019).
- If these works are by multiple authors, then the references are ordered alphabetically by the first author separated by a semicolon as follows: … (Jones, 2008; Freeman, 2009; Syahza, 2019).
Citing a Secondary Source: Lorde (1980) as cited in Syahza (2019) … or … (Lorde, 1980, as cited in Syahza, 2019)
Reference Writing in Bibliography
All the references must be mentioned in the text and must be written with complete information. Author name(s), journal or book title, article or chapter title, year of publication, volume, issue (where appropriate), and page numbers are essential components. The addition of DOI numbers if available is recommended but not essential. The core components of writing a Bibliography for journal articles using the APA format are as follows:
Author’s surname, initials. (date published). Title. Journal name, volume number(issue number), pages. DOI or URL
The writing of the author's name starts from the last name followed by the initials of the first name, separated by commas and closed with a period, for example, the author with the name Almasdi Syahza becomes "Syahza, A.", the author with three-word names such as Muhammad Nur Mustafa becomes "Mustafa, M. N.", while the author's name with one word like Hapsoh is enough to type "Hapsoh". If the three names of the authors in one library source become "Syahza, A., Mustafa, M. N., & Hapsoh".
The APA format writing varies considerably based on the type of reference cited in the manuscript. Here are some examples of writing.
Asmit, B., & Koesrindartoto, D.P. (2015). Identifying the Entrepreneurship Characteristics of the Oil Palm Community Plantation Farmers in the Riau Area. Gadjah Mada International Journal of Business, 17(3), 219-236. https://doi.org/10.22146/gamaijb.8500
Evelyn, Saputra, E., Komalasari, & Utami, S. (2019). Community training in dishwashing-liquid soap making from waste cooking oil. Riau Journal of Empowerment, 1(2), 67-74. https://doi.org/10.31258/raje.1.2.9
Hapsoh, Gusmawartati, Amri, A.I., & Diansyah, A. (2017). Respons Pertumbuhan dan Produksi Tanaman Cabai Keriting (Capsicum annuum L.) terhadap Aplikasi Pupuk Kompos dan Pupuk Anorganik di Polibag. Jurnal Hortikultura Indonesia, 8(3), 203. https://doi.org/10.29244/jhi.8.3.203-208
Syahza, A., Rosnita, Suwondo, & Nasrul, B. (2013). Potential Oil Palm Industry Development in Riau. International Research Journal of Business Studies, 6(2), 133-147. https://doi.org/10.21632/irjbs.6.2.133-147
Syahza, A. (2015). Ekonomi Pembangunan: Teori dan Kajian Empirik Pembangunan Pedesaan. Universitas Riau Press.
Todaro, M.P. (2000). Pembangunan Ekonomi di Dunia Ketiga. Erlangga.
Chapter or Section in the Book:
Irianti, M. (2006). Pengaruh pemberian model hand-out dan gaya belajar mahasiswa terhadap hasil belajar gelombang. In A. Syahza, B. Nasrul, & N. Qomar (Eds.), Kumpulan Hasil Penelitian Unggulan Universitas Riau: Menuju Universitas Riset 2020 (pp. 92-94). Lembaga Penelitian Universitas Riau.
Dissertation, Theses, and Undergraduate Theses:
Syahza, A. (2004). Pemberdayaan Ekonomi Masyarakat Pedesaan melalui Pengembangan Industri Hilir Berbasis Kelapa Sawit di Daerah Riau [Unpublished Doctoral dissertation]. Universitas Padjajaran.
Zarei, R. (2017). Developing enhanced classification methods for ECG and EEG signals [Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation]. Victoria University.
Saputra, A. (2019, July 13). Pengarahan Keberangkatan Mahasiswa KKN Kebangsaan dan KKN Bersama UNRI oleh WR 3. LPPM Universitas Riau. https://lppm.unri.ac.id/pengarahan-keberangkatan-mahasiswa-kkn-kebangsaan-dan-kkn-bersama-unri-oleh-wr-3/
Syahza, A. (2014, June 24). Meningkatkan Daya Saing CPO dengan Penerapan ISPO. http://almasdi.staff.unri.ac.id/meningkatkan-daya-saing-cpo-dengan-penerapan-ispo/
Jaeger, J. (2010, August). Social media use in the financial industry. Compliance Week, 54.
Setyawan, B. (2018, October). Ubi Jalar Makin Pulen. Trubus, 122-123.
Meier, B. (2013, January 1). Energy drinks promise edge, but experts say proof is scant. New York Times, p. 1. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com
Walid, R. (2016, February 4). Loyalitas vs Kepentingan Individu. Riau Pos, p. 12.
Syahza, A., Suwondo, Bakce, D., Ernaputra, F.H., & Riadi, R.M. (2013). Kegiatan Tindak Lanjut Penghimpunan Data, Informasi Dana Bagi Hasil (DBH) Sektor Perkebunan (DBH CPO). Lembaga Penelitian Universitas Riau.
Article Presented at the Conference (unpublished):
Indrawati, H. (2015, November). Implementasi Lesson Study sebagai Upaya Peningkatan Kompetensi Pedagogik Guru Ekonomi di Kabupaten Kepulauan Meranti [Conference presentation]. Seminar Internasional Pendidikan Serantau ke-7, Pekanbaru, Indonesia.
Zwolinski, M. (2009, September). Effects of study habits on scholastic achievement [Conference presentation]. The Third Semi-annual Meeting of the Anderson Society for Educational Measurement, San Diego, CA.
Article published in the Proceedings:
For online proceedings/conferences/symposia replace the publisher's name and location with the DOI address. If there is no DOI, you can use the URL.
Irianti, M., Syahza, A., Asmit, B., Suarman, Riadi, R.M., Bakce, D., & Tampubulon, D. (2018). Peningkatan Pendapatan Masyarakat melalui Pemanfaatan Limbah Lidi Kelapa Sawit di Desa Sepahat Kabupaten Bengkalis [Conference presentation]. Paper presented at Seminar Nasional Hasil Pengabdian Kepada Masyarakat. https://conference.upnvj.ac.id/index.php/pkm/article/view/15
Novak, D., & Verber, D. (2015). Assessment of the influence caused by random events within a real-time strategy game engine on a game bot gameplay [Conference presentation]. The 8th Annual International Conference on Computer Games, Multimedia and Allied Technology. https://doi.org/10.5176/2251-1679_CGAT15.27
Proceedings of the conference published in book form (ISBN) following the writing of a book reference:
Blakey, N., Guinea, S., & Saghafi, F. (2017). Transforming undergraduate nursing curriculum by aligning models of clinical reasoning through simulation. In R. Walker, & S. Bedford (Eds.), HERDSA 2017 Conference: Research and Development in Higher Education: Curriculum Transformation (pp. 25-37). Hammondville, NSW: Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia.
While conference articles which are published in journals or in periodicals such as conference series, reference writing follows the way of writing journal article references.
Guidelines for Manuscript Submissions
Manuscripts for publication are written in Indonesian or English and following the writing guidelines. Editors will not accept documents that do not comply with this provision.
RIAU JOURNAL OF EMPOWERMENT has used the management of scientific manuscript publishing based on the Open Journal System (OJS). Manuscripts received by editors in latest Microsoft Office Word® format (*.docx). Author needs to register with the journal prior to submitting or, if already registered, can simply log in and begin the five-step process. The author can also watch the tutorial video How to submit the manuscript in OJS 3.0.
Manuscripts that have passed selection from the editorial board will then go through a peer-review process. The authors are allowed to revise their article if there are suggestions for improvement from editors and reviewers. The manuscript will be published in the journal after it is declared eligible to be published by the editorial board.
For further information related to the technical submission of the manuscript, you can contact the editor via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Author(s) retain the copyright of articles published in this journal, with first publication rights granted to Riau Journal of Empowerment. All journal content is licenced under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. This license permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.